Build Your Own Fireplace Mantel
For many people it can be difficult to find someone who is able to design and build you the perfect mantel that you have always dreamed of. When this is a problem that you face than you should just consider trying to build your own fireplace mantel. This gives you the ability to design how large it should be, what you want it to look like, and what materials you are able to use.
- Phillips screwdriver
- Tape measure
- Lumber nails
- Penny finish nails
- Mounting boards
What To Do
- Once you have all of the tools on hand than you will be ready to build your fireplace mantel. The first thing that you have to install are the backboards to the fireplace. These are used to help secure the mantel to the chimney or wall so that it does not fall down when you put something on top of it. The backing board will need to be secured into the studs in the wall.
- The top of the mantel will be put together before you are ready to put together the rest of it. Once it is completely assembled you are now ready to use the finish nails and attach and secure the legs of the mantel.
- Next you will need to mark where you wish the fireplace mantel to be. You will then need to set the mantel around the fireplace or on top of it.
- The mounting boards are the next to be installed. Mount the boards to the studs inside of the wall and then you will be able to set up the mantel. Use the finish nails to secure the mantel to the mounting boards. If you want to paint the mantel then you should do it before you install it to the wall.
- Now install the scribe molding. This is used to conceal any gaps or hole that are between the legs and the face of the mantel.